Project Timeline: On-going
In 2009, CREVAWC was asked by the Public Health Agency of Canada to adapt the Ontario domestic violence public education campaign, Neighbours, Friends and Families for abuse of older adults. The Canadian Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (CNPEA), as well as professionals and advocates from all over the country, contributed to the development of the materials. The resulting INR-NFF materials represent the very best collective thinking in Canada for public education on abuse and neglect of older adults.
In 2019, the Ministry for Seniors and Accessibility provided funding to EAPO to expand the program in Ontario, reaching over 10,000 individuals in the province.
The project includes options of a one-day workshop, half day workshop, 3 hour, or 1 hour education session designed to educate and teach neighbours, friends and family members (bystanders) of seniors experiencing abuse to recognize the warning signs and take small practical steps to help that are safe and respectful. Video scenarios taken from life, with a range of possible responses, were produced to support the learning objectives as well as a comprehensive trainer’s manual.
The project was initially funded by the Government of Canada’s New Horizons for Seniors Program.
The Centre for Research & Education on Violence against Women & Children (CREVAWC)
EAPO Prevention Consultants provide INR workshops, presentations and training sessions to senior groups, organizations and front-line staff. Book your session here.
It’s Not Right! brochures in English and French are available for download here.
- How can you identify and help older adults at risk: download plain text
- What can you do to keep yourself safe from abuse: download plain text
- What can you do when abuse or neglect happens: download plain text
- Comment reconnaître les signes de mauvais traitements et aider les personnes âgées qui sont à risqué : download plain text
- Ce que vous pouvez faire pour vous mettre à l’abri des mauvais traitements : download plain text
- Ce que vous pouvez faire lorsqu’une personne âgée de votre entourage est victim de mauvais traitements ou de negligence : download plain text