Women’s History Month in Canada 2023
October is Women’s History Month in Canada, a time to celebrate the women and girls from our past, and our present, who are contributing to a better, more inclusive Canada.
In 1992, the Government of Canada designated October as Women’s History Month, marking the beginning of an annual celebration of the outstanding achievements of women and girls throughout Canada’s history.
This year’s theme, Through Her Lens: Celebrating the Diversity of Women, emphasizes the importance of recognizing the achievements and contributions of women from diverse backgrounds. It focuses on the unique perspectives, experiences, and challenges faced by women, including Indigenous women; women from 2SLGBTQI+ communities; women with disabilities; and newcomer, racialized, and migrant women.
Let’s continue to honour women who don’t accept the status quo and fight hard to improve the lives of all women in the country.
- Share our social media posts throughout the month or start a conversation using our social media shareables below with the hashtag #WomensHistoryMonth.
- Use Women’s History Month 2023 background below during your virtual meetings.
- Check out the Women’s History Month – Featured Women, who are making a difference to advance gender equality.
- Visit the Women of Impact in Canada gallery, which recognizes the contributions and achievements of close to 170 exceptional women and girls who have made an impact in politics, the arts and sciences, and countless other fields.
- View Women in Canadian History: A Timeline, to learn more about notable events in Canadian women’s history.
Women’s History Month 2023 digital toolkit
Download these visuals and use them on your website, social media channels or virtual meetings.
During Women’s History Month, Women and Gender Equality Canada (WAGE) proudly presents an inspiring roster of women who are making history, and whose contributions to advancing gender equality will leave an enduring mark for generations to come.
As WAGE celebrates its 5th anniversary as a department, we take this opportunity to highlight these remarkable individuals who contribute significantly to organizations supported by WAGE.
They come from a wide range of backgrounds, embodying the core message of this year’s theme, ‘Through Her Lens: Celebrating the Diversity of Women.’ Collectively, they have broken down barriers and championed transformative change, offering unique perspectives that underscore their actions in community advocacy, breakthroughs in research, policy development, improving access to housing, dedication to ending gender-based violence, entrepreneurial drive, commitments to reconciliation, and courageous leadership.
Continue reading here
Article first appeared at: https://women-gender-equality.canada.ca/en/commemorations-celebrations/womens-history-month/2023-theme.html